3 Cost-Effective Ways to Protect Your Home From Flooding
As the saying goes, “Home is where the heart is.” Yet, for homeowners across the globe, the threat of flooding looms as a persistent menace to their cherished abodes. The unpredictability of weather patterns and the ever-present risk of natural disasters make home flood protection an absolute necessity.
From understanding flood risks and preventative measures to securing the right home insurance policy, Alpine Insurance can help you safeguard your home against floods. Here are some simple steps to take to protect your home against the threat of floods.
Maintain Your Home Twice Per Year
Regularly maintaining these crucial aspects of your home not only safeguards against flooding but also extends the life of your property, making it a resilient in times of heavy rainfall or flooding events.
- Remove debris from the nearest storm drain or ditch and culvert
- Clean out eaves troughs
- Check for leaks in plumbing, fixtures, and appliances
- Test your sump pump
- Clean out your backwater valve
Do Simple Upgrades
Simple upgrades to your home can effectively safeguard against the ever-present threat of flooding. These straightforward upgrades not only reduce the risk of flooding but also offer you valuable peace of mind, knowing that your home is better prepared to withstand the challenges of a changing climate.
- Install window well covers (where fire escape requirements permit)
- Extend downspouts and sump discharge pipes at least 2 m from the foundation
- Store valuables and hazardous materials in watertight containers and secure fuel tanks
- Remove obstructions to floor drains
- Install and maintain flood alarm
Complete Complex Upgrades
If you’re looking to truly protect your home against flooding, embarking on more complex upgrades can be a strategic investment. While these upgrades may require more planning and financial commitment, they can provide you with peace of mind
- Install window wells that sit 10-15 cm above ground and upgrade to water-resistant windows
- Disconnect downspouts, cap foundation drains, and extend downspouts to direct water at least 2 m from the foundation
- Correct grading to direct water at least 2 m away from the foundation
- Install backwater valve
- Install a backup sump pump and battery
Protect Your Home With Home Insurance
Ready to secure your home against unexpected disasters like flooding? Connect with one of our trusted home insurance brokers today to explore comprehensive insurance options tailored to safeguard your most valuable asset.
From fire protection to all-encompassing coverage, our experts will guide you through the process of securing the right policy to protect your home and peace of mind. Don’t leave your home’s safety to chance – take the proactive step towards safeguarding your future. Contact us now and let us help you build a resilient future for your home.
Blog posts from Alpine Insurance are for general information only. The content should not be considered insurance advice. If you are in need of professional insurance advice, please reach out to our team.
Comments are closed.