car insurance: Top 10 Tips to Prevent Auto Theft
A few simple precautions is all it takes!
A professional thief can steal your car in about 30 seconds – without a key. It’s really that easy. But there are a few simple precautions that you can take to help prevent auto theft:
1. Always roll up your car windows, lock the doors and pocket the key.
2. Keep your vehicle registration certificate and proof of insurance on you at all times – not in the glove box.
3. Never leave valuable objects or packages in full view. Put them in the trunk.
4. Don’t leave the keys in the ignition, even while getting gas. Approximately 20% of stolen cars have keys in them.
5. Always park in a well lit and busy area.
6. Protect your car with an approved engine immobilizer that meets the strict Canadian Standards. However, please be aware that it has been proven that the installation of aftermarket remote starting systems (including those installed at new car dealers) can seriously compromise the effectiveness of immobilization systems. You may be trading the complete protection of your car for a convenience. Make sure to ask if they are compatible.
7. Have the parts of your car marked. Parts marking will render your car less attractive to thieves who like to chop up old cars and sell the parts (“chop shops”).
8. Prevent thieves from towing your car; park with your wheels turned sharply and apply the emergency brake.
9. Give only your ignition key to a parking lot attendant. Keep your other keys with you.
10. If you have a garage, use it and lock the door as well as your car.
Be cautious and take precautions to prevent the theft of your auto!
Comments are closed.