City of Calgary Resilient Roofing Rebate Program
In 2020, destructive hailstorms in Calgary resulted in an estimated $1.4 billion in damages. Roof damage on 32,000 homes accounted for $800 million of that total. The City of Calgary has taken the initiative to help homeowners with the disastrous outcomes of these common hailstorms. The Resilient Roofing Rebate Program was introduced in June 2021, allowing residents to apply for $3,000 to cover the costs of installing roofs with resilient materials.
Initially, the program includes homes that were damaged from the 2020 hailstorms and then expands to include all eligible Calgary homeowners looking to upgrade their roofs with hail-resistant material.
About The Resilient Roofing Rebate Program
The Resilient Roofing Rebate program incentivizes upgrades from standard roofing products to impact-resistant products. It’s designed to encourage homeowners to protect their homes from future weather damage by providing coverage on these costs.
The rebate program is a three-year phased program that will begin on June 1, 2021. The first 7 months of the program will offer a $3,000 rebate for homeowners who experienced hail damage and replaced, or plan to replace, their roof with a certified Class 4 impact-resistant product. The rebate can be applied retroactively to eligible properties where impact-resistant roofing was installed between June 13, 2020, and June 1, 2021.
Program Year 1 Eligibility
The program year runs from June 1 – May 31.
Starting June 1, 2021, the rebate program is open to eligible homeowners on a first-come-first-serve basis, who experienced damage to the roof of their home from any hailstorm in 2020, for roof replacements occurring after June 13, 2020.
The program is open to all eligible homeowners on January 1, 2022, until the program ends, or until all funding is allocated, whichever comes first.
Future details of the program will be presented for approval to Calgary’s City Council no later than Q2 2022.
Program Year 2 Eligibility
Eligible groups from Year 1 continued.
Program Year 3 Eligibility
Eligible groups from Year 1 plus new homes.
Are you eligible for the Resilient Roofing Rebate Program?
The following must apply to your situation for you to be eligible for the program:
- I have proof that my roof was damaged from a hailstorm in 2020.
- My property is a single-family, semi-detached, or duplex home.
- I am in good standing on my property tax roll.
- I replaced (or plan to replace) my roofing with a Class 4 rated roofing system that meets the impact rating for UL2218 (Underwriters Laboratories Inc.) or FM4473 (Factory Mutual Approvals).
- I used a contractor who is a member of the Alberta Allied Roofing Association or Alberta Roofing Contractors Association.
- I have a receipt and proof of purchase (semi-detached properties require receipts for the full roof on both homes).
- I have a roof inspection report and proof of purchase from an approved third-party roofing inspector, confirming proper product and installation for a roof replacement occurring between June 13, 2020, and June 1, 2021.
- Approved roofing contractors and inspectors are members of program partners.
How to get pre-approved before you start re-roofing
If you plan to replace and repair your roof, you can get pre-approved to find out whether the cost of your roof replacement or repair will be covered by the Resilient Roofing Rebate Program.
Step 1: Confirm your property is eligible for the rebate
Step 2: Complete the Application Form and submit all supporting documents
Step 3: The City will review your submission and if approved, the rebate funding will be held for you for 90 days.
Call and speak to a representative directly (587) 602-1305
Comments are closed.