Give Back, Give Blood
Okay guys, it is public service announcement time from us here at Alpine Insurance & Financial Services! There is a national blood shortage, which means that it is time to give back and give blood! Not everyone is able to give blood, and that is fine, what we really need is awareness. The more of you that spread the word, the more people we can help.
Why should I donate blood?
In every minute of every day, a Canadian needs blood. Blood products are needed not just in emergency situations, but also for routine surgeries and medical treatment. Right now, we are at a 5-year low. But the good news is, in just one hour you can save a life.
Am I eligible to donate?
Here are the basic blood donor eligibility requirements of the Canadian Blood Services:
- Must be between the ages of 17 and 71 – Please note: Those between 17-23 are subject to additional height/weight requirements.
- Must weigh at least 50 kg (110 pounds)
- The required interval between donations is 56 days
- Must be in general good health and meet certain hemoglobin (iron) requirements (a test will be conducted before donation)
- Be able to provide a list of all medications
- Must pass screening to determine eligibility (there will be a questionnaire for you to fill out)
How can I make an appointment to donate?
The Canadian Blood Services has made donating easier than ever. There are now several ways for you to make an appointment:
By Phone: Call 1-888-2-DONATE (1-888-236-6283)
Online: Book your appointment through their website here. Registration is required.
Download the App: You can download the GiveBlood app from the Apple store or from Google play.
Photo – © Gstudio Group – Fotolia.com
Remember, if you book an appointment and know you are not going to make it, please contact the Canadian Blood Services to cancel. That way, they can give your appointment to somebody else.
Comments are closed.