Protecting Against Household Poisons
Every year, about 1,600 Canadian children are accidentally poisoned from household products, according to a study done by the Public Health Agency of Canada. Though you may think that your family is protected against household chemical dangers, accidents still do occur. To keep these problems at bay, take extra precautions when storing and handling poisonous chemicals in your home.
Household Poison Prevention
Stay One Step Ahead…
Since preparedness is the best way to prevent accidents, consider the following tips to protect your family:
• Place the local poison centre contact information next to your phone in case of an emergency.
• Store harmful products out of the kitchen and away from food and drinks.
• Hire a service person to inspect your heater, stove and fireplaces every year to make sure that they are in good working order. During the inspection, a professional can determine if there is a carbon dioxide leak in your home from one of these appliances, which could be fatal.
• Place carbon monoxide detectors in all levels of your home and test them frequently. Also have your children listen to the detector alarm so they know what the sound indicates in case it goes off.
• Read product labels when purchasing new items. If they contain the words “caution,” “warning,” or “danger,” be extra cautious when storing and using them.
• Remove medications from purses and low drawers that are potentially accessible to children. Place them in a cabinet with a lock that is out of reach.
• Place child-resistant caps on all chemicals that could pose a poison danger to your children, if the product does not already come with one.
• Keep chemicals and products in their original packaging with labels containing usage and handling instructions.
• Flush unwanted chemicals down the toilet. To dispose of unwanted medications, mix them with coffee grounds or kitty litter and then place them in an airtight bag that can be sealed shut. Then, throw the bag in the trash.
Running the car in a closed garage poses a major danger to your health – carbon monoxide poisoning from your car’s exhaust! If you need to warm up your car for a few minutes during the winter months, open the garage door while it is on.
This flyer is for informational purposes only and is not intended as professional advice. © 2008, 2013 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.
Comments are closed.