Autumn is here ~ and winter weather will be upon us soon. In bad weather it’s harder to stay in control when you’re behind the wheel. Heavy rain, icy roads, snow – these hazards can cause even the best drivers to make mistakes. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of Top 10 Auto Safety Tipsto consider before you set out on the road:
1. Be seen – make sure your headlights are on.
2. Increase your following distance.
3. Slow down! It takes longer to brake on slippery roads – the slower
you go, the easier it is to stop.
4. Make sure your car is prepared for the conditions (check your
battery, antifreeze, windshield wiper fluid, windshield wipers, headlights,
5. Consider having winter tires installed, which significantly improve
traction in bad weather.
6. Use caution at intersections. Don’t assume that if you have the right
of way, the intersection will be clear – scan ahead to spot potential
7. If you must travel in the winter, keep your car gassed up so that the
fuel lines don’t freeze.
8. Clear snow completely off the car, remembering to sweep the
taillights and headlights.
9. Be very careful on bridges, overpasses and infrequently traveled
roads, which will freeze first.
10. Put together a car emergency kit that contains:
-an ice scraper and a snow brush
-a bag of sand, salt, or cat litter (for traction if you get stuck in
-warning flares or triangles
-gloves or mittens
-a flashlight and batteries
-a first-aid kit
-nonperishable snack foods
-a candle and matches
-a cup in case you need to melt snow for water
Be prepared and stay safe!
Comments are closed.